Monday, May 14, 2007

Sometimes Mother's day can cost a pretty penny

Mother's day turned out to be an expensive day for us. After church we took Jessica out to a nice Italian restaurant for lunch. It was a bit upscale for the Philippines and cost us around $30 to feed our family of 7. Afterwards, we went to get some tea. Kian was carrying the baby (Isabella) in her car seat and I was carrying my book bag on my shoulder. We set my bag under the table and Bella next to it. Soon after, Jessica, Grace and Tyler sat in chairs around the table. Kian, Christian and I went to the counter to order our drinks. We sat down and sipped our teas, read and chatted till the little ones got bored. When we decided to leave we packed up the baby and our things, but noticed that my bag was gone. I never even saw anyone near our table. Jessica figured that they must have grabbed my bag while I was ordering and she was distracted with reading or the kids. Inside my bag was my bible, a book for school and my PDA, (a little handheld computer) ouch! Perhaps worse than the value of the PDA is all of my information on it; including our phone numbers and addresses. I have copies on my computer, but we pray that we will not get another visit from the thief who took my bag. It is possible that he saw and white guys carrying a bag on the street and followed us into the coffee shop hoping he might get a computer. This is the kind of thing that can happen in any big city. I am just glad that the two times we have been robbed in the Philippines were not in our home. That seems scarier to me. I also praise God that my family is safe. I know this picture of Isabella is not related to this particular story, but I took it today and I just couldn't resist posting it.

No comments: