Sunday, October 29, 2006

Our Sandy Little Monster

(this one is by Jess)

He came running into our bedroom clearly in a panic. “Owie, Owie!” he exclaimed, frantically , his hands against his head. It was not uncommon for our energetic 2 year old to get a bump on his head. I reached to examine for bumps when I noticed that he had sand in his hair . . . and all over his face . . . and around his eyes. . . even on his hands. 'Did he fall head first into a sandbox?' I wondered to myself. No, he couldn't have. We don’t have a sandbox in our yard. In fact, we don’t even have a yard. I decided to worry about the sand later and deal with the source of the pain first. Anxious to find that bump, I asked Tyler to show me exactly where it hurt. He pointed to his face while he continued his panicky panting of “owie, owie”. Then I smelled it. . . the unmistakeable scent of pepper! I knew at that moment there was no bump. It was the pepper in his face that was burning! I rushed him immediately to the bathtub to pour water over his face and hair. I thought about how pepper spray is sold as a weapon and I wanted to cry thinking about how it must sting. My poor little guy. Fortunately, it only took a few minutes of running cold water over him before Tyler was back to his happy self. “Yaaaay” he sang, clapping his hands as he watched me grab the blue bottle of bubble bath from the counter. I let the tub fill up and enjoyed watching my little monster play in his bubbles.

Later, I wondered how he got so much pepper all over him. Did he open the container of pepper and then blow on it? I never did learn what happened. What I did learn though is that pepper isn’t all black as I'd always thought. Yes, there are some black specks in the mix, but most of the pepper is the color of, well, sand.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Poor Tyler. I feel for him. Not fun having pepper in your eyes or mouth. I'm sure he felt good after that bath, though. The cupie-doll picture is worth a thousand words, too. :0)

Love these little insights to your challenging yet rewarding life, Jess. :0)

Jen had food poisoning this week but is feeling better. I had a cancer scare but it was only that. David had an amazing experience re: it, too, even though he was clueless to my situation. I sent an e-mail about it to your Ransom_family@yahoo.com account.

God bless and keep up the great work.

Rene'

Sean Ransom said...

Hi Rene,

Yes, I have been following your updates and praying for and with you. The ransom_family@yahoo.com email goes to Sean, so I havent seen it yet but will check it out. As for Tyler, well he sure gives us plenty to chuckle about -- and we haven't even posted half of his escapades. There was an episode with candle wax (not hot wax, thank goodness), and the time he picked up a bug and was about to eat it, and the time he got into Grace's underwear drawer and came out of the room wearing one on his head like a ski mask. . .

Vance Johnson said...

Hi Sean and Jessica,

This was just to much!

One time (or was it two, with five kids you forget, as I am sure you well understand), our kids got into the red sili pepper bushes and then touched around their eyes. They cried a lot and I tried to be sympathetic while not laughing.

The things we do as parents.

Vance