Monday, February 19, 2007

The Proclaimer

A friend of ours who has been involved with ministry in the Philippines for many years was visiting from the States. He gave me what is basically a solar powered MP3 player equipped with its own speakers. It best thing about it is that it has the entire New Testament in Tagalog on it (It is called the Proclaimer). I thought, “This would be great for my friends at the bridge because they have no electricity. When I gave them the proclaimer last Thursday I couldn’t tell if they understood what it is because looked puzzled as I demonstrated it to them. When I returned the next morning to pick up a young man named Jerwin for a doctors appointment I had a surprise. I walked down the path leading to the common area where they hang out, but didn’t find any one there. The usual site of smiling faces greeting me and little ones running up to me calling out, “Kuya Sean” was absent. I thought that maybe it was because I was there earlier than usual. When I turned the corner I to Kuya Edwin’s home I found a group of them huddled around the proclaimer listening to the Word of God. What a joy that was to see. I encouraged them to listen to it together as a group, but I didn’t think they would do it early the next morning. I hope that this becomes a tradition for the whole community. Pray that they will grow to love God’s Word and through it, they will fall in love with Him and become like Him.

No comments: