Saturday, September 09, 2006

A lot can happen in the seconds you wait for a traffic signal to change

I was stopped at a traffic signal behind about ten cars waiting to make a u-turn. Then a little boy – probably about seven years old, started scrubbing the window of my car with a small damp cloth. I rolled down my window and gave him 5 pesos and a gospel track. A few seconds later two little girls came up with their cloths. I rolled down my window again and gave them each a gospel track and 5 pesos. About the same time my eyes caught the site of two older girls around 20 watching me as they waited to cross the street. You see, between the East and West bound lanes of the road there is an island filled with landscaping and people waiting to cross the street. No sooner had I rolled up my window up again did another little boy come up with his cup. As I rolled down my window again I could see smiles form on the faces of the two older girls who were just waiting for the opportune moment to make their way through the cars to the other side of the street. I hand the little boy a track and 5 pesos too. As I was just about to roll up my window a thought flashed through my mind. I called out to the smiling girls, “Here’s one for you too.” They stepped up to my car and I gave them both a gospel track. They took them with a smile as the light turned green and the cars in front of me began to move. Waving as I passed by, I pulled up to the intersection and made my u-turn. When I passed the spot where I had previously waited for the light I was pleased to see a small group of 6 people reading the gospel tracks. I never would have thought that so much could transpire during a few seconds of waiting for a traffic light to change. It reminded me that we need to always be ready, willing, and looking for opportunities to serve God.

3 comments:

That Squirrel said...

Nice post. Here in India, we have some underpriviledged children try and sell you something while you wait in traffic. It's so much better than them just begging and bringing babies to guilt you into it. I don't think these kids would be able to read though even if I did give them tracks. I've never tried. I don't even have tracks. These kids might get beat up if they had tracks on them if their parents were against Christians. I guess it will just take the right moment - God usually makes a way. God bless you in your ministry. Take care.

Sean Ransom said...

I believe that a lot of the children here can not read either, that is why I give them a track that tells the gospel through pictures. We are lucky here in the Philippines that there is little religious persecution in most parts of the country, but I think that getting beat up or to the extreme, even dieing is a small price to pay if you receive eternal life through faith in Jesus Christ. I encourage you to buy or make some if you can and look for divine appointments from God to give them to lost souls. Of course the best track that any of us have is our own witness.

Anonymous said...

Once again, your words have transported me 8,000 miles to a land that continually makes me thankful for living in the USA, but increasingly mindful about the fertile ground of ministry that you and your family walk. I am certain that if you pass that way again, those little children will remember you. Hopefully, traffic will cooperate and allow you to pause in your rush towards your destination, thereby furthering the witness you shared earlier in book-form. We'll be praying for you that similar occasions will present themselves.

BTW, how is Robert's brother and his brother's pregnant girlfriend? Has she delivered yet?

Oh, and how is Isabella and Jess doing? Congratulations, again, btw. :0)

Pray for Jen and her quest to attend CSUN. She's met with some obsticals that have effectively delayed her graduating until 2008.

David is doing well. He calls each night if he can, which eases our concerns quite a bit. It does pose a challenge, however, of having something interesting to say, although I'm sure just hearing our voice is good enough for him. So far, his time there has been boring - which works for us, obviously. LOL

My father is having severe back problems, too, from a couple of falls he took mid-year. He's facing surgery, so - yep - would appreciate prayeful petitions for him, not only for renewed health, but for his salvation. He's been as stubborn as a mule about Christ and it's hard to talk to him about it.

Anyway, once more, thanks for sharing about your experiences in the Philippines. It's always inspirational for me. :0)

Be blessed,
Rene'